800 boating-related poisonings in 35 states have been identified with over 140 of these poisonings resulting in death. Over 300 of the poisonings occurred on houseboats, with more than 200 of these poisonings attributed to generator exhaust alone.
Facts You Should Know about CO
- CO cannot be seen or smelled, but it can kill you or make you sick.
- Know the symptoms of CO poisoning:
- Dizziness or loss of consciousness
- Get to fresh air and seek medical help immediately if you or a family member has these symptoms!
- Install and test daily a battery operated CO detector.
- CO from engine exhaust builds up inside and outside the boat in areas near exhaust vents. Stay away and do not swim near these areas while propulsion engines or generator are running.
- Schedule regular engine and exhaust system maintenance inspections by experienced and trained technicians.
- Be aware that dangerous concentrations of CO can accumulate within seconds.
- All CO poisonings are preventable!
Sources: www.cdc.gov – www.boaterexam.com
Follow Us: Facebook – Foursquare – Twitter – YouTube – LinkedIn